The FAA issued an email on April 24, 2020 that provided:
“…guidance on the availability of certain recurrent designee training seminars that can now be completed virtually. This virtual training meets the training requirements in FAA Order 8000.95 and 8100.15. Applicable designees are expected to complete their recurrent training by the due date they had prior to the issuance of the policy memos issued by FS on March 24, 2020 and AIR on March 31, 2020, due to the impact of COVID-19 on travel and in-person training. If the designee’s recurrent training due date was between March 1, 2020 and May 31, 2020, the applicable designee is expected to complete the next available recurrent training.
The following recurrent designee training seminars are now provided through virtual platforms:
• Designated Pilot Examiner
• Designated Mechanic Examiner
• Aircraft Certification
Attendees who enrolled in these seminars prior to the COVID-19 pandemic do not need to take any additional action. Attendees can expect two emails providing updates concerning their scheduled offering. Approximately two weeks in advance of scheduled offerings, the Designee Standardization Branch, AFS-640 will determine and notify attendees of any changes from in-person to virtual offerings. This will allow time for attendees to make changes in travel logistics. Once an in-person offering has been changed to a virtual offering, approximately one week prior to the virtual offering, each attendee will receive, via email, the specific information needed to attend the virtual training. This email will include the appropriate virtual links, passwords, and any other needed information.
Successful completion of a recurrent designee training seminar virtually will also result in the following:
1) Recurrent Designated Mechanic Examiner — Will still count toward the renewal requirements of the Inspection Authorization.
2) Recurrent Aircraft Certification –
a. Will still count toward the renewal requirements of the Inspection Authorization.
b. Will allow attendees to gain access to the following courses offered on-line:
• Aging Airplane inspection and records review
• Amateur Built and Light Sport DAR
• Recurrent Conformity Determination
• Field Approval delegation
• Issuance of 8130-3 for domestic and export approvals of engines, propellers and articles only
• Recurrent Issuance of 8130-3 for domestic and export airworthiness approvals
The following recurrent courses will continue to be offered online:
• Designated Parachute Rigger Examiner (DPRE)
• Administrative Designated Pilot Examiner (Admin DPE)
• Sport Pilot Examiner (SPE)”